20 November 2010


7 Time
of Day
9:00 AM
Distance 49 miles Power  
Time Total – 3:06
Speed Overall
  Max Speed
Breakfast 6:30 AM - smoothie
Lunch 12:45 PM – large bottle w/3 scoops Sustained Energy (my left over bottle from the ride), 2 pieces pizza
Dinner 6:00 PM – sandwich, chips salsa, 2 beers
8:00 PM – dark chocolate
Workout Food large bottle w/3 scoops Perpetuem
Injuries Right knee/IT band felt great!
Workout Type team ride
Weather 40, mostly sunny, windy, dry
Equipment Rain Bike
Clothing Sugoi shoe covers, leg warmers, Roubaix weight knickers, Craft long sleeve undershirt, long sleeve jersey, wind vest, OR Gripper gloves, cap

Another excellent fall day! And except for the fact that my legs were the opposite of fresh it was a good time. In attendance today were Greg K, Aaron S, Tim F, Neal G, Ryan G and a new guy who's name I have forgotten. :(

Rolling down Lake WA Blvd was fine but then as soon as we hit Rainier Aaron (on his carbon race bike with no fenders) cranked up the pace and I almost got dropped. Ryan (also on his carbon race bike) was right with him and it was really frustrating how hard it was to hang on. By the time we got to Renton I was feeling a little bit better but not good by any means.

Climbing up from the lake Aaron and Ryan were chatting away and everyone except for me decided to let them go. I was very nearly maxed out all the way up to May Valley and would have been shelled if they had shut up and pedaled even a tiny bit harder. Thankfully for me they had lots of training stuff and power numbers to discuss.

Riding along May Valley I noticed something. Even though I was wasted and not feeling so hot I was able to hang in and take short pulls. Tim, this other guy and Neal would get tailed off, pull too long and struggle to get back on. At one point Neal pulled for way too long – and into a slight rise – and was promptly dropped. Thank goodness we had to wait for the light at Hwy 900. But it was not just Neal, both Tim and this new guy would pull too long or let the entire group ride by and then have to sprint to get back on,etc., etc. Always wasting energy. And Tim was riding a HUGE gear. Yikes.

Just as we hit Issaquah-Hobart we stopped to fix a flat so the entire bunch regrouped. And I was lucky that the pace was sane up Newport or I would not have been there at the end. Whew.

ASIDE – the pace was not even that hard today! I was just on a heavy bike and tired.

As we crossed the I-90 floating bridge the wind was strong! There were big waves on the north side and we were getting moved around on the bike path. Kinda cool when you are fresh, kinda frustrating when you are beat. And because it was a pure cross wind you could be right behind someone and get zero shelter. It was one of those days where you lean into the wind, it lets up for an instant and you almost fall into the railing.

It felt good to arrive at my garage.

No comments: