24 April 2012

bike commute | Pacific Raceways

I woke up in time to go to the gym… but stayed home this morning and dorked around on the computer. :( Such is my lot in life to want to be fit and to play with my toys.

The ride to and from work felt great.

The race was supposed to be dry… need I say more? If it's raining it must be Tuesday.
Here is my commute. Riding home I forgot to start my cyclometer until I was about one mile from work so this is about one mile short. And that matters pretty much only to me. :)

I had not attended any of the races at Pacific Raceways so far this year because I was 1) sick of riding in the rain and 2) was sick of racing on the flats. Since the schedule indicated today was going to be a hilly course and since it was supposed to be dry some teammates and I decided to finally make the drive south.
To make a long story short, here is a bulleted list of what happened.
  • Since it had rained pretty much every Tuesday evening so far this year, the organizer switched the course at the last minute and threw all the flat-loving racers a bone. No hill tonight.
  • One lap into the race it began to sprinkle and then the sprinkle turned into steady rain and so we rode a grand total of two laps on the flats (the drag strip is too slippery when it gets wet) and then we were rerouted down the escape road and up the gradual hill.
  • Garage Racing attacked, we attacked, repeat.
  • A break got away.
  • A second group got away.
  • I missed both moves. The first time I was actively sitting up to let the break with our rider get away and it was just shitty timing on my part the second time as it went when I was on the front. At least Ryan Dean and Dave Hecht were up the road.
  • The second group caught the lead group and that combined bunch stayed away.
  • I led Greg Kauper out for the 'pack' sprint.
Kudos to Jeff Reed for making it into the break, ditto for both Ryan and Dave. Also to Sean Phillips for winning. Again. Also to Aaron Griffith for riding with us and for riding aggressively.

In retrospect I should have chased the second move no matter what. It consisted of two Garage riders and Dave and sending bad odds up the road isn't always worth it. In the end Dave did better than Ryan in the sprint so we got lucky.

When the rain started I was wishing I had my wind vest on but I survived. My hands got a bit cold but again not too bad. The only bummer was my tires were sliding around like a mother! I was running 110 PSI (I'll try 100 next time) but still, c'mon. I had less traction than I have ever experienced on this course. Not only was the last left hand corner bad (it always is) but there was a spot half way up the climb that is slick as snot. I drifted across it sideways once and then avoided it like the plague thereafter.

My kit will never be as white as it was before this race began.

Sleep 6
Waking HR
Body Weight
Body Fat
Workout Food 15 min before race - PowerBar Energy Gel
race - bottle w/1 tablet Nuun and 1 scoop HEED
Time of Day race - 7:00 PM
Workout Type race
Weather race - upper 50s, rain, calm
Course race - counter-clockwise down the escape road
Equipment commute - Town Bike
race - Road Bike
39/53, 12-25
Mad Fiber wheels
Clothing race - knit shoe covers ( forgot my wet weather booties), bib shorts, Craft short sleeve undershirt, short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, cap

No comments: