16 June 2016
04 June 2016
This happens every year, where my mind tries to convince my body that it still races. And the answer is it doesn't. And I suffer. This year it was at the Cascade Bicycle Club's Flying Wheels Summer Century.
But I got a boatload of sun, didn't completely blow and in the end it was a huge case of type 2 fun. Meaning it was tough but I'm glad I did it.
I rode with my friend John Phillips who is at least as game as I am when it comes to chasing fast wheels. I should have known.
We rolled out at about 7:30 and after a few miles along Lake Sammamish the course heads up a pretty stout hill. Every year there are people taking breaks on this hill (which is just five miles into a 104 mile ride) and walking their bikes. Ouch.
At the top of this hill we encountered some triathletes, it was three guys all on the VO2 Multisport team. As is typical of triathletes, these guys were hammers! Later on we would encounter many more triathletes and they were all fast.
Here are some highlights.
- about 25 miles into this century going about 27 mph I'm barely able to draft a couple of 20 something young bucks (your guessed, it, triathletes) when one turns to the other and says, "Did you get your swim in this morning?" #mindgames
- With maybe two miles to go a woman (triathlete!) flew past us like nothing. Of course John jumped. I tried...
- I drank six 24 oz bottles and was still dehydrated when we finished. I started in a sleeveless jersey and needless to day I was never uncomfortable.
- I have not eaten this many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in years. They just tasted good.
- I almost cramped three (four?) times.
- We pulled this guy in the last 20 miles. He was so grateful he bought both of us a beer. "A draft for a draft!" Thanks!
- It was such a nice day that when I got home I hit the deck. Turns out even I have a maximum amount of sun I can absorb and I got that during the ride... after maybe 30 minutes I went back inside. I should have jumped in the lake.
Here are all my pictures and video.
03 June 2016
02 June 2016
I finally felt up for commuting on my bike. I'm a bit tired but it was not too bad.
Hit the gym for my second core workout, it's good to be back at this. I can tell my back needs it.
01 June 2016
Today was a true recovery run.
My legs were still wicked sore from Monday just walking around but surprisingly not so bad while running? I'll take it.
I started slow and kept it that way. It actually felt good to run. Just like yesterday, I opted not to ride to work. Too trashed.
Unlike most technology enthusiasts it usually takes me a little longer to figure out all the functions and features on my toys. Like in this...
This has been bugging me for MONTHS. I have been wanting to display a bunch of thumbnail images in a footer on my blog and just was not abl...
I've been thinking about this for quite a long time now and finally scheduled it. I used to use heart rate a lot when cycling was my pri...