05 May 2013

Snoqualmie Falls ride

Well, I was right yesterday when I said I felt like I felt a sore throat coming on. :( Last night it got worse. I tried to get plenty of sleep (which didn't really work) but luckily this morning it had abated some.

That was the only thing wrong with today however and it didn't spoil my outing.

Today I went on a great ride. The weather was great, the route was great, the company was great and my legs felt great. Pretty f'ing great all round if you ask me. Want proof? Just look at this smile.


Today was the first day this year that I have started a ride with no leg/knee/arm warmers and I never even considered taking a vest along. God do I love days like this.

I cruised around for a few minutes before meeting my company at Leschi Starbucks and off we went. Today I was riding with John Phillips, Frank Hodge and Kelly Herrington. It the first time I had met Kelly and luckily it was easy to remember his name.


Everyone was super compatible which is a big, fat bonus on bike rides. Kelly may not have been comfortable drafting very close so he was usually 10-20' off the back but he kept up totally fine. And was a very safe rider.

John took us a climb from West Lake Sammamish Way that I had not been on ages and was really nice and traffic-free. In fact, the first half of the ride was pretty much traffic-free now that I think about it... I guess early on a Sunday, especially on Cinco de Mayo (when you're going to be drinking a lot later) folks need their rest.

It was SO nice bombing down hills and not being even the slightest bit chilled. Love that.

We did the extra credit loop at the top of the falls and John introduced me to even more extra credit and yet another new road that I have never ridden.

On the way home I saw Edgardo Balansay headed out to Fall City on a ride of his own. Way to go Edgardo.

Today was one of those days where I could have gone even longer had there been time to do so. I rode within myself all day and I think a few things contributed to me feeling so stellar.

  • Today was my first day on my Ti Cycles Hyak, aka the 'race' bike. It's about seven pounds lighter than my fender bike and that is not insignificant.
  • I ate and drank all the time.
  • We never went too hard so I never had to dig myself out of any holes. You know, the kind of holes that are deep, filled with lactic acid and are devoid of any muscle glycogen.
  • Other than yesterday I have not been working out so hard lately.
  • I hydrated well last night.

All though I packed plenty of food I was surprised by how little I consumed? I felt like I was nibbling all the time but I guess I was wrong. The liquid food must have been sustaining me pretty well. I did notice that I didn't drink enough when I got home and went to the bathroom. Oops. But today it didn't affect me.

Here are all the pictures and video.

Sleep 6
Waking HR  
Body Weight  
Body Fat  
Breakfast 5:30 AM - apple sauce, banana, 1 scoop protein powder, 2 scoops Perpetuem, pumpkin seeds
Workout Food large bottle w/2 scoops Perpetuem, large bottle w/2 scoops HEED, half a bottle of water, Hammer Bar, 2 Perpetuem Solids
Time of Day 7:00 AM
Workout Type endurance
Weather upper 50s to upper 70s, sun, dry, light breeze
Time 5:03
Distance 86 miles
Pace 18.1 mph
Equipment Ti Cycles Hyak, Garmin Edge 500
Clothing bib shorts, sleeveless undershirt, short sleeve jersey, cap
Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts