05 October 2014

Mailbox Peak x 2 with SMRG

Damn, sometimes getting up early is worth it.

This morning I joined some folks from the Seattle Mountain Running Group and we went up Mailbox Peak. Twice. The original plan was to head up and down the old trail and then head up and down the new trail (which has just been open for a couple of week). In the end we went down the new trail both times just because it was so much fun.

We hit the top just in time to watch the sun rise. Magical.

We hung out for a bit and got a few group shots.

On the way back down I had the severe misfortune of falling. AGAIN. TWO TIMES. I feel like I have some kind of condition or something... Just as my cuts and scrapes from the Crystal Mt Sky Marathon were healing up nicely I tear them back open. Sucks. The first tumble was no big deal thankfully but the second one not only ripped my biggest Band-Aid off, it hurt.

I was able to walk and run it off but I'm tired of healing up. What's wrong with just plain old healthy and not needing to heal? Nothing from my perspective.

At the bottom I changed shirts, fueled up and we headed back out/up.

I was very surprised by how many people showed up for the early run at 5:00 AM! Just one extra guy showed up for the second run at 8:00 AM. But I'm glad he did as he was the only person to summit with me the second time. Unfortunately some of the early risers had time commitments.

I was pretty beat going up the second time. I ran about the first two miles and then had to walk every steeper section. Still had enough strength to grab the summit selfie though.

As we started down I had to stop and dump a rock out of my shoe and in the process my leg cramped pretty hard. Yikes. Luckily it was just acting up when I was sitting down, running was fine. I chugged more fluid and we took off.

This time I was more judicious with my speed on the corners where I wiped out last time...

In the end it was an awesome day. And now I am tired.

For some reason my GPS wants to pause the activity when I sit down for a few minutes...?! I lost about one mile on the second trip before I noticed it was not doing anything and pressed start. Need to sort that out.

Today was my first day in Altra shoes. I gotta say, the toebox is heavenly! So comfy. Too bad my foot moves around in the shoe a bit more than I would like, I kept jamming my toes on the descents. I'm still in search of the perfect shoe for Martin.

Here are the pictures and video.

Sleep 5
Waking HR  
Body Weight  
Body Fat  
Breakfast 4:00 AM - 2 bananas
Workout Food 4 bottles each w/2 scoops Perpetuem, 2 shots Hammer Gel, Hammer Bar
Injuries skinned my left calf and knee
Time of Day first trip up - 5:00 AM
second trip up - 8:00 AM
Workout Type  
Weather low 50s at the start, upper 60s by the end
Equipment Altra Lone Peak 2.0, Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra Vest 2.0, Garmin Fenix 2
Clothing Injinji Lightweight Mini-Crew, Brooks Infinity Short III, Brooks Podium SS shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts