30 April 2011

Longbranch RR

Sleep 7
Waking HR  
Body Weight  
Body Fat  
Breakfast 6:00 AM – cereal
9:30 AM – banana
10:00 AM – large bottle w/3 scoops Perpetuem
12:00 PM – half a PowerBar, water
Workout Food 1.5 small bottles each w/2 scoops HEED, gel
Time of Day 1:10 PM
Workout Type  
Weather mid to upper 50s, dry, mostly sunny
Course 11 mile loop including 2 hard hills with false flats at the top
Distance 43 miles
Time 1:54
Results 40-49, Cat 1/2/3
pack (3rd group on the road) finish
Equipment Road Bike
39/53, 12-25
Zipp 404 wheels
Clothing knit shoe covers, bib shorts, Craft short sleeve undershirt, short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, Polypropylene gloves, cap

Woke up feeling dehydrated, still. And that's after an effort to drink a ton last night. :(

I removed my gloves after one lap and never needed the shoe covers, I guess I was just trying to be fashionable. Or a dork.

This course has never been good for me but hey, it's the state championship road race so you do it. I was joined by Brad K,l Greg K, Keith F and Peter V.

The first lap was FAST, Luckily I survived the hills but truth be told I am always getting dropped and then chasing back on. When I feel good I have people to chase with and when I feel bad I am chasing alone.

On the second lap after the hills Brad took off and was soon joined by Todd H, Michael E and one other guy. Boom goes the dynamite. Nicos M from Garage was close to joining but gut shelled but he's not at his best since he is coming back from a broken finger and a bad crash.

Crossing the finish line with two laps to go I got in a move which included Mick W who was pulling like a man possessed or determined to get in a good workout. He towed us up the entire hill just past the finish line and at the top we were tantalizingly close to the break... so much so that I considered jumping across but in all honesty I was laboring just to hold Mick's wheel so was uncertain of my chances. I opted to suck wheel some more in hopes of others closing the gap and it was the wrong move. Their lead started to grow and the pack closed us down.

The third time up the hills I did the huge fade. I do it so well I should trademark it. I start at the very front of the bunch and by the top of the hill I am pretty much last thus allowing myself to ride just a little slower than everyone else. The only problem with this move is if the back of the bunch gets tailed off so do I. It almost happened this time. Someone drilled it across the top of the big hill and I was not seeing anyone behind me and barely able to hold the wheel in front of me. Thank goodness we caught back on. Just in time to hit the second hill. Ouch.

Again I was off the back and chasing for all I was worth. Somehow I got back in contact.

The fourth time up the hills the pace was noticeably slower but I was feeling even worse so it was wash, rinse, repeat. Ouch, ouch.

At the top of the second hill Peter surged and got away with about three other riders. That guy had been burning matches like they were going out of style all race long so to have this kind of push left at the end speaks volumes. His group stayed away those last few miles and he won the sprint for 5th place.

Up front I guess Michael detonated the break and Brad had to solo in for 4th but he stayed away so yeah Brad! According to Brad his power meter was pegged at 300 watts just holding Michael's wheel. I could not have done that.

Back in the pack I turned to Keith and told him to get in front of Greg for the sprint and he did but then he went too early and too hard and blew/pulled over well before 500 m to go. Oh well, not sure how much Greg had left to give.

I rolled across the line happy to be done.

I felt a little like a cramp was coming on during that last lap but never bonked so my nutrition was probably adequate. Hell... hard to get it wrong, this was a short race!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts