31 March 2013

Howe Street stairs

I learned a couple of things today.

  1. I am not the only person out exercising at FOUR O'CLOCK SUNDAY MORNING.
  2. Perhaps there is some validity to what Shelley says when she tells me that I'm crazy to go exercising at FOUR O'CLOCK SUNDAY MORNING.

Man, I woke up around 2:00 AM and after tossing and turning for 30 minutes I gave up and went downstairs to get a few things done on the computer. As I usually go any time I get in front of a computer I checked some cycling websites and lo and behold, live coverage of the Tour of Flanders was already starting!

Shelley and I were hoping to get some projects done later in the day so I was doing some mental math and trying to figure out when I could squeeze in a workout. It slowly started to dawn on my that as crazy as it sounded, right now might be the best time. Then I could dedicate the rest of the day to projects and maybe (if I got lucky) even a nap in the sun! So after about 15 minutes of mulling this over and getting psyched up to head out I finally got in the car.

No sooner had I started down for the first time when I see some other person coming up! At first I thought there was no way anyone else was out here exercising... stumbling home from a party maybe but working out? Not possible. AS they got closer I could tell that they were wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt and as they passed me I could hear music blasting from some MP3 player so as incredible as it seems they really were here to work out.

ASIDE - one thing I couldn't tell was if this person was a man or woman... Not that it mattered any but I was curious and for several flights I tried to come to a conclusion but the dark and the 'vague sexual identification' of this person meant I never could decide.

The first two or three flights were hard and my legs felt heavy. It also felt like my heart rate skyrocketed (although the initial heart rate numbers below can't be correct) but then I got warmed up, my breathing got more regular and the workout felt significantly easier. In fact, other than the first three flights, pretty much the entire workout felt almost the same. Yes, I did get a little more tired but this pace must be close to my endurance pace.

I didn't start out with a goal in terms of flights or time but after 20 or so minutes I decided I would try for 50 minutes. That was just a bit more than my previous effort so seemed like a reasonable goal.

Having a bottle along was super. I opted for the Kona Cola flavor today, partly because it's super refreshing and partly because it was so damn early. Each time I got to the top I would take a sip and it lasted all the way to the end.

What are the odds I fall asleep while trying to get those projects done today? We'll see.

Sleep 4
Waking HR  
Body Weight  
Body Fat  
Workout Food large bottle w/1 tablet Nuun
Time of Day 4:00 AM
Workout Type strength, endurance
Weather 50, dry, clear, calm
Course Howe Street stairs
Time 52:24
Distance 14 flights (2.2 miles)
Pace 3:45/flight average
Equipment Brooks Launch, Garmin Fenix
Clothing shorts, Brooks Podium SS shirt, Brooks Podium LS shirt
Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts