04 January 2011

training-ride | cardio

6 Time
of Day
ride – 6:00 AM
cardio – 12:30 PM
12:30 PM - 182 Body
Distance ride – 14 miles Power  
Time Total (ride) – 1:30
Moving (ride) – 1:00?
cardio – 30 min
Speed Overall
  Max Speed
Breakfast 4:30 AM – PowerBar, water
8:30 AM – yogurt, jam, protein powder, 7-grain cereal, banana
Lunch 1:30 PM – pear, beans, fish, veggies, potato chips, tea
Workout Food  
Workout Type  
Weather upper 20s to 30, clear, calm, dry
Course elliptical trainer – 15 incline, 15 resistance, 140+ rpm
Equipment Rain Bike
Clothing Sugoi shoe covers, Roubaix knickers, Roubaix leg warmers, Craft short sleeve undershirt, Craft long sleeve undershirt, long sleeve jersey, wind vest, Polypropylene gloves, OR Gripper gloves, cap

In retrospect it was pretty stupid to try and ride this AM. All the moisture in the air (it was foggy, etc.) made for a wicked slick coating of frost on the roads and the temperature was cold enough that if there was real water out and about it was frozen solid. Nice.

And by 'nice' I of course mean it sucked. I slid out once on my way down to the Dawg (tearing my handlebar tape and ANOTHER new set of shoe covers), almost bailed a second time but managed to put my foot down and save my bacon.

I connected with Tim F and Ryan D and we rolled – S L O W L Y – south to try and get in a lap around Mercer Island. It was not happening. Thank god (or 'God' if you are inclined to place your fate in the hands of others) the switchbacks down to the lake were dry but Lake WA Blvd was super frosty from the bottom of Madrona on south. We decided to bag Mercer Island and just ride to Seward Park but when we got to Mt Baker Beach the road was so bad we turned around, climbed up Madrona and had a coffee/hot chocolate.

Did I mention it was cold out? My fingers froze today. FROZE. The circulation in them is challenged to begin with and by the time we pulled into the coffee shop and I tore off my gloves the thawing process almost reduced me to tears.

When I got home I think the only sweat my body had excreted was of the nervous variety, we rode so slowly I hardly was out of breath.

At lunch I was going to join this spinning class I signed up for at the IMA but guess what, it does not start until the 18th! What a load of crap. So I got on the elliptical trainer instead. It happened to be the same model as at my regular gym so I did not need to waste any time figuring out how to use it. One small saving grace.

I launched into the workout and in no time I was breathing really hard. And it did not get any easier. But I guess that's sort of what I wanted and I managed to survive. The original Terminator movie was on which helped distract me and I caught the last 30 minutes of that. Action, action, action...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts